The European Composite Pylon is a Horizon2020 funded project that aims to realize, test, and validate 3 full-scale 2x400kV Composite Power Pylons. This will be the first time a high voltage power pylon, entirely made from composite material, is made in real life. The goals of the project are to:
Deliver, test, and validate 3 full-scale, 2x400kV Composite Pylons designed according to the EN50341
Prove a concept that could change the game for operators and utilities around the world
Strengthen European collaboration and partnerships
Strengthen and drive innovation within the industry
The project is scheduled for a period of two years, from 2019 to 2021. Within those two years, three 2x400kV full-scale Composite Pylons will be installed and tested. During the project period, a line of work packages will be carried out to achieve pre-defined milestones and ensure development targets are met. Each step of the development is a collaboration between the partners, managed by the relevant partner depending on the content of the specific work package.
1) Administrative execution of the project; 2) Perform all aspects of the EC requirements for communication and reporting; 3) Overall management of the activities within the project; 4) IPR management 5) Risk management.
Design specifications and technical requirements (WP2)
1) Establish the initial transmission system design specifications; 2) Establish the technical requirements for corona shield design, lightning protection design, wire design; 3) Establish the verification tests according to the TSOs’ requirements.
Technical refinement and manufacturing optimization (WP3)
1) Re-assess of system design and specifications; 2) Evaluate (preliminary) mechanical and electrical performance; 3) Freeze the Composite Pylon’s design that will be showcased during demonstrations.
Preparation of demonstration (WP4)
1) Prepare demonstration; 2) Manufacture and validate prototypes for demonstration
Full-scale demonstration (WP5)
1) Demonstration of Composite Pylon installation; 2) Demonstration of performance and visual effect; 3) Collect documentation and data from demonstrations; 4) Perform a workshop with all relevant stakeholders;
Product intelligence and certification (WP6)
1) Establish final product design and specifications; 2) Perform sustainability assessment; 3) Certify the Composite Pylon according to EN50341
Market intelligence, dissemination & exploitation (WP7)
1) Implement a Dissemination & Communication strategy; 2) Further develop a commercialisation plan; 3) Further engage with TSOs